If you’re a mom, who has a different definition of Freedom like me and also feel that your little human whom you produced dominates you all the time, then give me a high -five because even I feel the same.
What similarity we have in terms of freedom?
Mentioning about Freedom, I have prepared a list of things, I as a mother would like to get freedom from
1. Judgemental society: I somewhat believe in the saying that it takes a whole village to raise a child. But Do they really mean the village who judge a mother at every single point like-
Are you a working mom? Poor kid, her mother is money minded and she has got a lot of freedom.
Oh ! you’re a stay at home mom cause she’s lazy enough to step out of the home and spends her husband’s money.
Oh look at the poor child, he’s crying because his mother is least bothered (on no reason toddler tantrum).
The kid is 2 and she’s still breastfeeding her.
And I can tell hundreds of taunts this village say. will I ever get a freedom from these? Aunty ji.Bas karo…
2. Never asked for Advice:
The moment I got pregnant and until today, people had a long list of advice which is not only contrasting but confusing. In-laws, friends, neighbors, maids, and also the relatives you hardly ever met share their invaluable gyaan to you. All I would say is, just listen to your doctor, please.
3. Maid Excuses: Has it happened to you too, that at last you found a good maid, you did everything possible under the sun to make her stay at your work but suddenly she declares, she can’t continue for whatever reason or just stops coming from next day without informing?
Can we actually have a freedom from maid tantrums? how I wish we can!
4. Momma role: I want to have a freedom from always being in a Mamma role because I have the other side too, the badass, unapologetic and carefree spirit.
I would like to be free some time from mumma’s role and switch back to myself.
5. Peer pressure: And yes, do you also know the mother of that super smart kid who can climb the monkey bars so easily that too at such a small age when your daughter doesn’t even like to slide.
The super active mumma who not only always makes you feel that you ain’t fit enough to always run behind your kid in the park but also tells you that you sit lazily on the bench just to watch her play.
I want to be free enough to decide to just sit and do nothing.
6. Whatsapp groups:
And if you’re a mom, this is what your WhatsApp looks like
Society blocks 1, 2, 3
Wing A, B, C
Independence day celebrations
And a never-ending list follows. Leaving any group from these is like asking other members to boycott you. I wonder how do parents in early age survive without WhatsApp.
7. School work and projects:
Independence day fancy dress
Fruits fancy dress
Vegetables fancy dress
Fireless cooking competition
Best out of waste.
And we spend hours on making stuff which would ultimately be thrown in waste immediately and we have to make it again next time or sometimes nobody cares about. Free mommas from extra school burden, please.
8. Birthday Parties:
I would like to have a party where only kids are invited and there would be no gift and return gift policy so that I would just spend those two hours when she would be enjoying the party. This would be freedom from formalities.
9. Mommy competition:
Do you give Organic food ? was it normal or cesarean?
What are you going to choose for your kid :
State Board, CBSE, ICSE, Montessori, Waldorf
Does she use left hand to write or right hand,
Mother tongue or English,
Co-Sleeping or sleep training,
Screen time or Not.
Oh god..will you finally stop these?
parenting isn’t easy and this just adds up to it.
10. Minimum salary: Motherhood is worth paying because a mother is always working. I don’t want to get in the calculation part and calculate how much she should be paid although respecting her for her efforts by supporting her and not judging her on each level will serve the purpose.
Do you also feel the need to have freedom from the above or even more issues as a mother or a woman?
Bharat mata ki jai !!!
Happy 72nd Independence day 🙂
This blog was also published by Womens web as a featured post on India’s 72nd Independence day .here’s the link Featured post…click here